Tuition Assistance (Financial Aid)

Our need-based Tuition Assistance Program works to ensure that tuition costs do not exclude students from access to our highly valued academic program which culminates in a graduation after 12th grade with two degrees, the German International Abitur and a US High School diploma. (to learn more about the German degree, please see: )

We recognize that for some of our families, the full tuition stretches resources beyond the budget, which is why we strive to make the journey at GISW accessible to students from families of all income levels.

Gross household income for families currently receiving Tuition Assistance from us:

Tuition Assistance Program (Financial Aid)

The German International School Washington D.C. offers need-based tuition assistance to families who cannot afford full tuition. Tuition assistance is granted to families who demonstrate financial need, which is defined as the difference between the family’s resources and the child’s educational expenses. A standardized approach is used to determine this need.

Tuition assistance may be granted to families in the current school year (2023/24) if there is a change in their financial status during the school year. Families must demonstrate a financial need in order to be considered for a mid-year grant. To apply for this emergency tuition assistance, please contact April Floyd  (

Tuition assistance may be granted to families for the upcoming school year (2024/25) if there is demonstrated financial need. Applications must be submitted by February 15, 2024. All applications coming in after that will be accepted and evaluated on a first-come first-serve basis.

The application for tuition assistance will be open for submission starting January 31, 2024 for the 2024/25 school year. Applications can be submitted online through FAST by clicking below. The application fee is $53.


After submitting the online application, families will be required to submit copies of their tax returns, schedules and W-2s for the prior year. If the prior year return is unavailable, then families must submit their tax returns, schedules and W-2s of the year before the prior year and current W-2s. If families do not file tax returns in the U.S., they should submit documentation supporting their financial status and a letter from each working spouse’s employer stating their rate of pay.

> Instructions for the tuition assistance application process

> FAST - Tips for Tax Submissions

With questions please contact April Floyd at 301.767.3810 or